Sunday, November 6, 2011

Good Old Days - Music

Flashback:

Just when I had entered high school, the music bug had bitten me. 
Knowing the latest pop songs was the 'in' thing and watching music channels was my fad.

I remember I used to come back from school by 4:30 and start browsing all the music channels right away. I usually had a deadline of 7:00...that was when my grandma used to conquer the TV remote and start watching a series of somber soaps.

So, 4:30-7:00 was my most revered time of the day, the time of the day I anxiously awaited. God forbid, if there was a power or cable connection disruption during that time, I would start abuses on the TV.

The music channels coolly occupied the convenient slots of 1-9 on the TV and I used to go jumping from one channel to the other to find a song I liked, till my fingers and/ or my eyes hurt. After like 30 jumps of channels or 1 to 1 and a 1/2 hour of channel-surfing, I used to like a new song or get to see a favorite song - THAT used to be the best moment of the day, and well worth the painful wait! On an average I used to get to see one favorite song, and if I was lucky, maybe two...or even three if that day was blessed!

I used to hum the song/ songs till I failed to recollect how the music in a part of the song goes and jump up in excitement when I could faintly catch a favorite song when played by a neighbour. 

The list of my favorite songs kept growing and they remained favorites for 8 years. 

Present:

I like a song on TV/ Facebook/ Google+/ Orkut or listen to it faintly from some car when at a traffic signal or from a neighbour and Google the few words I manage to catch from the song. Or I like some music at a restaurant or shopping mall and Google the same. Voila! I now have 24x7 access to the song coz I can download it, sing-along with it by Googling the lyrics, and watch it again and again and again...till I get so sick of the song that I wouldn't want to hear it again for atleast another decade...all this in a matter of a week, or a couple of weeks if the song is really lucky.

What's my favorite song now? ...Uh....um... :D 

1 comment:

Tarun Parthasarathy said...

That's right .. If you remember, those days when we just had DD tv , we used to be so very happy with just one film aired on Sunday evenings and so very content with Chitralahari .. Are we that happy today with 100s of channels ? Technology might have its own advantages .. but it made life so simple and things so accessible that they've lost their importance .. I wish I could go back to those good old days ..

Nice topic ..

-Tarun